Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Live at Radio City by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds (2007)


I think I lost it for Dave Matthews with his “Everyday (2001)” album, because I read this article in Rolling Stone where it was stated that all the new material for the album was trashed because it was seen by the record company as being too depressing and not upbeat like what people have come to think of The Dave Matthews Band. So, what happened was that the material was trashed and “Everyday” was then co-written with Glen Ballard, a producer that co-wrote Alanis Morissette’s “Jagged Little Pill.” The rest of the band was left out of the writing process. The article billed it as a triumph, but I saw it as a sell-out. Despite the fact that I love “when the worlds ends” and the Dave’s solo performance of “Everyday” at the concert for 9/11, the album “Everyday” seemed like the start of the decline of the Dave Matthews Band. Their next album “Busted Stuff” seemed banal, like Dave Matthews was trying to re-create the easy care free music of the first three albums, and let’s not even talk about the last album, which I never picked up.

Now, there was a solo album from Dave Matthews, “Some Devil,” which was a bit of redemption for ole Dave Matthews. It was dark and personal. There were a few really good songs there, depressingly sad, but good. Sadly, the title track “Some Devil” was used in the second season of “House M.D.” which what I think of now when I hear it.

Before all of this, before things went south, Dave Matthews put out an acoustic live album with Tim Reynolds in 1999. “Live at Luther College.” It was great! It was Dave Matthews at his best. I think one of the best albums of the 1990’s.

This Dave and Tim Reynolds put out another solo acoustic live album in this year, Live at Radio City. The music was mostly focused on music from the last seven years including Dave’s solos album.

I always loved music that was boiled down to its essence, because that is where the emotion hides. So, Tim and Dave get into it with just two guitars, a piano, and nothing else. It’s funny how that is enough.


Many of my friends can’t stand Dave Matthews but will appreciate that he is good on guitar. I can’t really argue with them, because I don’t care for Cat Power or Peaches. However, this acoustic is seems miles away from the DMB machine. It is easy to overlook the music from the marketing of it or the sub-cultures that follow it. I was just speaking to a 24 year old girl who lambasted DMB for being part of the stoner culture of her High School. I think it is best no to focus on that. With this recording, you have slow soulful rhythm of a singer-songwriter at his best.

There is a lot of chatter from Dave, none from Tim, where he speaks about soldiers from Iraq, and goofs off. They do a great version of “Crush”, which I never thought could be done acoustic. There are plenty of covers songs, two songs from Tim Reynolds, and a few DMB standards like “Crash into me.” It has the new single “Eh Hee,” and for the first time Dave plays the piano in a live performance.

Although, I certainly don’t own any of the live DMB stuff, and am missing the last album plus any of the more obscure stuff, I do find this recording to be excellent. I like that he brings redemption to his work from “Busted Stuff.” The recording here is better than the studio albums, and this rare when an artist can do that. The only one I am familiar with that does that consistently is U2. Having said all of that, there might be a familiarity necessary to truly appreciate this. I have known Dave’s music for over ten years now. Boy does it make you feel old to say that. Nevertheless, I think if you were unfamiliar with Dave Matthews I would still say, get this release and the “Live from Luther College” albums. I think they are the two best that will stand the test of time. “Under the table and dreaming” ain’t bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter