Thursday, February 7, 2008

iCon by Jeffery S. Young and William L. Simon


The full title is iCon Steve Jobs The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business. So, this is basically a book about Steve Jobs president and founder of Apple Computers, Next Step, Pixar, and the ipod.

I really can’t believe how over-the-top this book is. It could either be written by Jobs himself or maybe his mother. They say that the world of Apple is a cult of personality that follows Steve Jobs. There is some truth to this. I have only owned Apple/Mac. I have seen Jobs at an Apple keynote, which the only word that is sufficient “Mesmerizing.” I even paid full price for a crappy biography of Steve Jobs.

Still, this is just a non-stop uncritical laud of the computer guru. There is nothing here that you couldn’t of gotten by just following the news and an Apple press release. It is so sanitized that you could feed it to the I.C.U. I guess, I had holes in my knowledge of Jobs, so it filled in the gaps. I keep that in mind when I think I paid $17 for this, and I get paid in dollars. {It ain’t what it used to be}

There is almost nothing about the technical advances, war with Microsoft, or the brave new world of the “i” in front everything. I found the T.V. movie “Pirates of Silicon Valley” to be more informative, not to mention more entertaining.

Now, let me take a step back, there is a guilt saying anything bad about it for the same reason is why I am so angry about the flakeyness of this book. You see the Mac is the Jew of the computer world. Always fighting for market share, if not survival itself. Ruled by a brilliant yet impetuous G-d; that sometime flies off the handle. Totally over-represented in the computer world, and in the advancement in the industry. You will find Mac in top positions, and in the entertainment industry; and saturated in large urban areas like New York City. If you own a Mac you have had to perry an onslaught of attacks and ridicule personally from the Microsoft community; who even though have about 90 percent of market find Mac’s 3 percent so dangerous. By being put through this the Mac-users becomes a battle harden expert on the Mac with loyalty enviable to any company. With such a culture you know that when the Microsoft Operating System is a part of computer history that there will still be a Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter