Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weezer (the Red Album) – Weezer (2008)

Weezer
This is probably the biggest disappointment in entertainment for me this year. This CD really sucks!

It has about two and a half good songs, Pork and Beans and Troublemaker.

Must download:

Pork and Beans


Pork and Beans is about as good as anything Weezer has ever done. The music video is one of the best modern music videos I have seen. They use the stars of youtube reenacting their best youtube moments. The song spent weeks at number one on the Billboard Modern Rock chart. It is simple song with nerdy anti-conformity tip. It basically says “Hey, I’m gonna do my own thing.” It is sort of a classic in its own right.

Troublemaker is cool because Mr. Rivers C. is playing with language a la Eminem. It is about three years too late, but I appreciate the effort. The song is playful and doesn’t take itself seriously at all, which is refreshing.

It is all down hill from here. I heard that the whole band contributed songs this effort. Big mistake.

I am not sure where this leaving the future of the band. It is really a miss album.

I think what I really liked from Weezer was in the root of the music was 80’s hair-band style music with a John Lennon circa The Plastic Ono Band like lyrics, which was packaged in a nerd-cool envelope. This is not really the case here, but maybe they needed to go in a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter